Kickoff the school season with a few simple and quick lunch ideas below that are good for adults too!
For a healthy lunchbox, aim for:
- Balanced: Vegetable & Fruit + Protein + Carbohydrate + Water
– Protein: Meat, fish, egg or plant-based (tofu, beans)
– Carbohydrate: Brown rice, quinoa, whole grain pasta/noodles/bread, sweet potato. Whole, unrefined carbohydrates are higher in fiber and provide lasting energy.
– Vegetable & Fruit: Offer a variety of colors for different nutrients.
– Water: Try adding a few slices of lemon or fruit into the water to add flavor.
- Neat: Kids are just like adults – a neat, pleasing presentation makes food look more appetizing! A bento box with compartments can be useful.
- Accessible: Make sure the lunchbox itself or any packaged items inside can be easily opened by your child.
- Less is More: Sometimes too many choices or portions that are too big can be overwhelming to a child.
Post Credit: Food Foundations.co